All Vermont middle and secondary grades teachers are warmly invited to submit a proposal for a Rowland Fellowship. To be eligible, teachers must be currently practicing their profession in a Vermont school and work directly with students on a daily basis. The Rowland Foundation's selection process does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identification, language, religion, (dis)ability, or national origin.
- School Information Sheet (PDF)
- The Cover Letter (one page)
Please include a cover letter that explains why you seek a Rowland Fellowship and perhaps something about yourself that is not immediately evident in your resume.
- The Written Proposal (3 pages)
Text must be double spaced, using 12-point font, and no more than three single-sided pages using one-inch margins. The proposal should be organized in the following manner:
A Preliminary Budget (PDF)
Three Letters of Support
- School Climate—Tell us something about the current climate of your school and the transformation efforts (or lack of) which are currently underway.
- Project Description—Our Fellowships are inquiry-based. With this in mind, what do you hope to explore or research and what are the philosophical and practical underpinnings?
- Benefit to the School and the Students—What changes do you anticipate should your inquiry prove successful?
- Sabbatical Plans—How you envision your sabbatical time, particularly during the fall semester.
A Current Resumé
Digital Attachment (optional). Candidates are welcome to send one digital piece (e.g., original video, podcast, infographic, etc.) to accompany their application. Where applicable, the digital attachment must be at most 5-10 minutes in length.
Three copies of the application collated in the above sequence (without folders, covers or binding, other than paperclips) should be mailed to the address below and postmarked by December 31, 2022. Finalists will be asked to provide six additional copies of their proposal at the time of their interview.
- One from principal that supports you and demonstrates the principal's endorsement of your proposal. This is a critical element of the application.
- One from department chair or immediate supervisor
- One of your choosing
The deadline for applying for 2023 Fellowships is December 31, 2022, although applications received earlier are welcomed and appreciated.